World Photography Day, also known as Photography Day, is celebrated every year with the main purpose of honoring the art of photography and all photographers around the world. The day honors the history, science and artistic endeavors of photography. Within a decade, photography has become a part of almost every aspect of our lives, and today everyone has a camera with them due to advances in technology and the passion for photography. Let us know more about World Photography Day and how photography can help you relax and release stress.
|Event||world photography day|
|Date||August 19, 2022|
|Importance||Honors the art of photography|
World Photography Day 2022: History
World Photography Day is an unofficial event that is celebrated around the world every year to provide millions of people with the opportunity to honor the art of photography. However, photography was not always as simple and easy as it is today, but it was a difficult craft that required a lot of effort and hard work.
The first photograph was taken in 1825 by a French inventor named Josheph Nicephore, who used a petroleum derivative called “Butumen of Judea” to record the camera projection.
In 1839, Sir Johan Herschel simplified the photography process and improved the quality of photos over earlier versions. That same year, he invented the term photography from two Greek words, “Fos” meaning light and “Grafo” meaning writing. Even after advances in the process, the photograph took a long time to gain public recognition.
However, Kodak introduced the first commercial camera in 1888, marketing it under the adage “You press the button, we do the rest”, and in 1900 the Kodak Brownie was unveiled, becoming the first commercial camera on the market accessible to the middle class. .
Color photography was studied throughout the 19th century, but it was not until the 20th century that it was made accessible to the middle class and the majority of the population. Later, thanks to advances in technology and the efforts of a group of scientists, it led to a significant improvement in the quality of the camera while simplifying the process.
World Photography Day 2022: Meaning
World Photography Day encourages people to pursue their passion for photography in addition to honoring photographers. Here are some additional reasons why World Photography Day should be observed.
1. Recognizes the job of photographer: Working in the field of photography requires a lot of concentration and effort. World Photographers Day is crucial for celebrating photography and bringing attention to photographers, as the photography industry is not respected enough.
2. Encourages people to pursue photography: There are many talented people in the world who have various skills and are able to take interesting photos, but they have not been able to pursue their passion due to a lack of family support. As a result, the day pushes you to pursue your passion rather than doing mundane chores.
3. Honors the World Photographer: Have you ever heard of well-known names like Cindy Sherman, Robert Frank and many other photographers? If not, today is the perfect time to learn more about the photography industry and pay tribute to all photographers around the world.
World Photography Day 2022: activities
You can observe the day by participating in a variety of activities, some of which are listed below.
1. Take out your camera and capture nature’s beauty: What could be better than taking out your camera and snapping photos of beautiful plants, animals, and other examples of nature’s beauty?
2. Buy a new camera: Keep in mind that a good photo can only be taken with strong determination and passion; However, you can buy a new camera as you might get discounts as a result of this international event.
3. Raise awareness of the day: Use the hashtag #WorldPhotographyDay to spread the word on social media and your great photos to show off your talent.
World Photography Day 2022: facts
Here we have compiled a list of fascinating facts related to photography.
- The largest camera collection, which includes around 4,425 vintage cameras, belongs to Mumbai-based photojournalist Dilish Parekh.
- While working for Eastman Kodak in 1975, Steven Sasson created the first digital camera.
- The number of photos taken each day is estimated at nearly one trillion, while Facebook users upload nearly 300 million photos every day.
- The price of the most expensive photograph in the world, taken by Andreas Gursky, was 4.3 million dollars.
- Did you know that one of the most popular searches on Google is for “cat photos”, with the first images of cats appearing in the 19th century?
World Photography Day 2022: FAQs
1. When is World Photography Day observed?
Unofficially, World Photography Day is celebrated on August 18 every year.
2. Why do we celebrate World Photography Day?
We celebrate World Photography Day to pay tribute to all photographers around the world.
3. How can I mark World Photography Day?
We can simply observe World Photography Day by publicizing it on the internet and taking out our cameras to capture the world.